Saturday, January 8, 2022

End-of-the-Year Round Up

204!

I was pretty happy with that result, in the end. A couple species I'd really hoped to see did evade me this year (Sharp-tailed Grouse and Gyrfalcon), but it's still hard to complain. My December trip never did happen - work, family, and snow told me no, but I left the year with no regrets. My running tally and needs list page has the totals, including photos and audio files for as many species as I could get (in some cases, um. . . regardless of quality!) Some of those may get added in the days to come - there's just a lot of sorting through photos and videos to get some of them. 

The life list in Douglas is 207, and it's always interesting to see what birds I've seen that I didn't find this particular year: Surf Scoter, Greater Sage-Grouse, and American Avocet. 

If you got here and wanted something more sequential, you can click here to get to my first post in January. Just keep clicking on "Newer Post" from there, and you're all set. 

Photos of the Year

Just some of my favorite shots from the year. I have stumbled on others since, and could easily have added more, but 50-60 felt like plenty. 

The first trip in January always calls for a sign pic.


Winter morning from Badger Mountain - I was certainly hoping for Barred Owl, but got none

More from Badger Mountain

Beautiful colors on the Waterville Plateau

My favorite tree! This is at the top of Bridgeport Hill Road


Beautiful old church in Douglas, WA

Badger near Atkins Lake

Looking off the Western edge of the Waterville Plateau

Southern Slope of Badger Mountain

Sunrise over the sage

Shorebirding in SE Douglas - April

Packwood Cemetery - very much out of the way, but not too far for people with loved ones

McNeil Canyon Road

Very typical scene from down on the Columbia

Paths at Hideaway Lake near Rock Island

Highway 2 roadside

South of Highway 2 - amazing, unexpected little trail complete with a lawn chair for just gazing out

Jack's Resort at Jameson Lake - struggling to get opened up and restart - worth a stop!

Grand Coulee from Crown Point Vista

Crown Point Vista

From one of my first trips into the NE corner of the county. Could have been C Rex road, or D Rex road...

Coyote from Highway 172

Northwest Douglas Fields in Bloom

Coming down the South Side of Badger Mountain towards East Wenatchee


Indian Camp Road, where we found Ruffed Grouse on a field trip

Badger Mountain in Spring from above the ski area. Redfield Road up here was
a great place for finches (Siskin, Pine Grosbeak, Cassin's, Red Crossbill), and owls
(Long-eared, Great Horned, Northern Pygmy)

East Jameson Lake Access Road

Bridgeport Bar

Douglas Creek Camping! My favorite campsite in the state

Birding with Joe, and the most adorable dog 


Wheat harvest

Apple harvest

Coming down Highway 2

The end of a 5 mile walk to perhaps the Northeastest point in the county

Hike at Big Bend

Campsite view - Big Bend Wildlife Area

Morning - East Wenatchee

Peaches from Lone Pine 

Big Bend hike under threatening skies

Douglas Canyon

Douglas Canyon

Foster Creek - showing some of the burned area from 2020 fires



Apples galore

Turtle Rock on the Columbia

From the Western Prow of the Waterville Plateau

Barns and full moon

November - Waterville Plateau

Mansfield Cemetery

Barker Canyon

Last trip to Big Bend

Sunsets

Sunset - Big Bend

Dezellem Road

Northern Waterville Plateau

Fake skies

The edge of the plateau

2021 fires - picture from along the Columbia

Gorgeous March morning on Badger Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment

End-of-the-Year Round Up

204! I was pretty happy with that result, in the end. A couple species I'd really hoped to see did evade me this year (Sharp-tailed Grou...